Gary was admitted in Hong Kong in 2008 and specialises in personal injury and insurance related litigation. He is a highly experienced practitioner with strong technical competence.
Gary regularly acts for liability insurers. He has extensive experience in defending personal injury claims involving work accidents, traffic accidents, occupiers' liability and medical malpractice. He advises insurers on a multitude of complex policy issues.
Gary also acts for professional indemnity insurers as coverage and defence counsel with claims involving educational institutions and healthcare professionals.
Gary has experience in advising on regulatory and compliance matters, contractual disputes, debt recovery, employment related matters, data privacy matters, arbitration and criminal matters.
- Advising insurers on policy coverage and exclusion, policy interpretation, double insurance, seeking contribution from co-insurers, repudiation of policy liability, recovery against insured, under-insurance, insurable interest, subrogation, liability under compulsory insurance legislation, etc.
- Handling subrogation (recovery) claims against third party wrongdoers
- Handling, investigating, defending and settling personal injury claims of various scale from very minor injury to paraplegic / tetraplegic / fatal claims (concluded by negotiation, mediation or trial)
- Handling claims for contribution / indemnity against co-defendants
- Handling, investigating and defending highly suspicious personal injury claims and succeeding in getting the claimants to withdraw or discontinue their claims, or settle at low level and early stage
- Acting for construction site contractors, logistics companies, cleaning companies, security companies, property management companies, restaurants, retail shops, elderly homes, offices, SMEs, etc. in handling work accident claims and recovery claims under Section 25 of the Employees’ Compensation Ordinance against third party wrongdoers
- Advising and handling industrial summons, claims for non-payment of periodical payment and complaints to the Labour Department against employers
- Advising motor insurers and the Motor Insurer’ Bureau of Hong Kong on liability under the Domestic Agreement and the compulsory insurance legislation, and defending traffic accident bodily injury claims
- Acting for property management, security and cleaning companies on accidents at residential estates, commercial buildings and shopping malls, and advising on the related contribution / indemnity claims between the property management, security and cleaning companies under their respective public liability policies and service contracts
- Advising on water seepage claims in residential, commercial and hotel buildings
- Acting for physiotherapists, chiropractors, Chinese medicine practitioners and optometrists in malpractice claims involving alleged negligent treatment
- Acting for special schools and elderly homes in personal injury claims involving alleged negligent care
- Acting for educational institutions and their management committees in defending a wide variety of claims relating to employment related matters (e.g. dismissal, suspension of employment, disciplinary procedure, variation of employment terms, reduction of wages, misrepresentation, etc.), discrimination, alleged wrongful or negligent student care, guidance or discipline, breach of the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance, etc.
- Handling a telephone enquiry hotline for answering enquiries from insured relating to policy coverage and claim notification issues
- Advising a property all risk and business interruption insurer on policy liability, subrogation issue, legal liability and quantum of loss arising out of a major roof collapse incident in Hong Kong
- Advising insurers on business interruption claims and policy coverage issues arising out of COVID-19
- Advising on debt recovery claims and related enforcement action and bankruptcy / winding up proceedings
- Advising insurers on complaints filed by insured with the Insurance Authority